[ExI] endpoint of evolution: was RE: why anger?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Feb 26 21:45:10 UTC 2010

On 2/26/2010 12:51 PM, Jef wrote:

> There was a time when speculation about such as Kardashev levels,
> Matrioshka Brains, and evolution as a process of increasing perfection
> could be excused--those were simpler times and we didn't have the
> wealth of information now easily accessible on the net.
>
> Not very long ago, most of these topics were seen as engineering
> problems--how to make things bigger, faster, stronger--and the leading
> paradigm was that of the digital computer.
>
> Since then, we (should have) seen the rise of chaos and complexity
> theory, ubiquitous fractal self-similarity, increasing
> ephemeralization, "evolution" as merely a special case of free-energy
> rate density and "intelligence" merely a phase--with increasing
> awareness that its not so much about engineering but about
> information--and the leading paradigm becomes that of an ecology with
> sustainable, ongoing, meaningful growth.

I wonder if you'd find this interesting?

“Self-Organised Reality”
Prof. Dr. Brian Josephson
Cambridge University

     I shall describe a new approach to modelling reality, synthesising
ideas of Steven Rosen, Ilexa Yardley and Stuart Kauffman.
Conventionally, physics presumes a specific fundamental mathematical
equation, the solutions to which represent all possible realities. The
alternative that we discuss is that domains of order progressively
self-organise into more comprehensive domains of order, with the
longevity of complexes at the various levels being a decisive factor in
determining what manifests, as is the case in biology.

     This is emergent law rather than pre-existent law, and demands very
different kind of thinking to the usual kind. For example, there is no
universal description of what is the case but instead many descriptions,
corresponding to the variety of effective divisions of the totality into
figure and ground. Such descriptions are not merely ‘in the mind of the
scientist’ but (again, as is the case in biology) an integral part of
nature’s processes, while the determination of the nature of space is
also an aspect of these processes. These ideas have clear implications
for parapsychology. [For Dr. Josephson’s powerpoint click here:
<http://www.psi-mart.com/Utrecht%20II%20Overflow/Josephson%20Powerpoint.pps>]