[ExI] Continuity of experience

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 00:03:46 UTC 2010

Spencer Campbell's inconceivably ancient ancestor wrote:

> Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com>:
> > What about a hundred yoctoseconds?
>
> That's... that's almost TWO SEXTILLION planck times!
>
> I shudder to think what would happen to M in a blackout of
> that duration.

OK, what about one plank time? (Geez, 10^-24 s isn't short enough for you?)

You see the point, I'm sure.  Everyone's mind is flickering like a movie, no harm comes to it in the invervals between the flickers, so why should any harm come to it in any interval of any size, as long as all the information is preserved and reinstated?

Or is your objection based on the idea that any conceivable scanning process has to take time, and the brain would change state (probably many times) in-between the beginning and the end of the scan, so any reconstituted brain using that information would not necessarily work properly?  Would you be happy with a simultaneous scan of all brain areas, if that could be achieved?

I can think of a few solutions to the non-simultaneous scan problem, but maybe that's not your concern anyway?

Ben Zaiboc