[ExI] Josephson Brains

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Feb 27 16:53:20 UTC 2010

On 2/27/2010 10:09 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:

> While it adds no substance to the info here, I would note that the
> "Extra" in ESP is not extra at all, but rather perception by another
> non-magical modality.  Human non-understanding of some natural
> phenomenon does not make the underlying mechanism 'magical'.  You know
> what I'm saying.  ESP has acquired a  meme-tone of spooky magicalness,
> and I'd like to revise that silliness.

Well, I agree with you, Jeff, in disliking any mysto woo-woo tone. The
"extra" was meant by Rhine only to mean "not by means of known senses."
But that "extra" has to go beyond, say, echolocation or pheromone
detection or unusual sensitivity to high pitched sounds or infrared
signals, etc, because (according to the available data) "ESP" is as
effective with future random targets as with realtime hidden targets.
That's what makes it interesting and truly puzzling. To explain this
data is going to require a revision or expansion of current physics
models--maybe some version of entanglement, or maybe Cramer's
transactional handshaking, or something utterly new, that *does* permit
nonlocal signaling.

I should note that nobody much in the parapsychology domain uses the
term "ESP" any more, except when others do. The placeholder general term
has been "psi" for decades.

Damien Broderick