[ExI] endpoint of evolution: was RE: why anger?

x at extropica.org x at extropica.org
Sat Feb 27 20:08:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>> Jarring to see on this list "endpoint" in reference to
>> evolution, which is not only the only known source of
>> persistent novelty, but is itself evolving... -Jef
>
> Evolution would continue even after all the available metals are converted
> to computronium and nearly all the energy being emitted by the star is being
> converted into thought.  The outward appearance of the MBrain wouldn't
> change much after that point, but information structure would continue to
> develop.

Spike, my evil twin, you know I love ya, but doesn't your response,
emphasizing the eschatology of filling the universe with thought,
illustrate that very trend which I was questioning and lamenting?

I suggested "Isn't this just another example of the reification of
agent-centered 'intelligence'..."

I offered "'evolution' as merely a special case of increasing
free-energy rate density and 'intelligence' merely a phase..."

And I ask again, "What the hell happened to halt the growth of the
Extropy discussion list?"

I remember that discussion on this list used to be surprising,
enlightening, challenging.  Now the predominate pattern appears to be
participants ignoring that which they don't understand, railing
against that which offends their personal sensibilities, and
persisting in tooting their own horn.

- Jef