[ExI] effect/affect again.

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 5 00:01:21 UTC 2010

On Behalf Of John Clark

...I think "affectation" still has a place in the English language but
"affect" should die and join other extinct words in that great dictionary in
the sky, words like "methinks","cozen","fardel", "huggermugger", "zounds"
and "typewriter"...John K Clark

Methinks otherwise John.  I like the word methinks, and use it occasionally.
I actually agree that the words affect and effect are a flaw in the
language.  Words that almost rhyme should have very different meanings and
usages; those two invite conflation methinks.

I also want to keep fardel.  I didn't know what that was until I looked it
up.  Now I shall try to use it.

I propose a game of balderdash.  Perhaps you know of it: the players are
given obscure English words, and they make up definitions, and try to fool
the other players into choosing their definitions over the others, or the
real one.

I will not play on fardel, since I looked it up.  But here are my other
plays:

cozen: the group with which one meditates

huggermugger: one who attempts to take money by force from environmentalists

zounds: the noise often emitted by sleepers

typewriter: you stumped me on that one, never heard of it.

Actually I must be honest and disqualify myself from this one, for I am one
who not only knows what is a typewriter, but actually used one, in college.
I can out-geezer almost everyone here by having used the kind (in college!)
which does not plug in to the wall.  Perhaps only Damien can match this,
methinks.