[ExI] MBTI, and what a difference a letter makes...

Max More max at maxmore.com
Tue Jan 5 17:54:01 UTC 2010

BillK wrote:
>As Ben mentioned, these personality types come
>out sounding like astrology descriptions. (Don't
>say anything bad in case you drive the paying
>customers away).  The fact that dating and
>match-making sites use them is another minus point.

Many businesses use them also, especially the MBTI.

I find this personality typing system interesting
and intuitively plausible, but regard it with a
low degree of confidence.  The comparison to
astrological descriptions is not unreasonable,
though the MBTI tying seem more specific and
predictive. I've read and reviewed a number of
books and papers on the topic, but have not yet
come across a good test of the MBTI. Here are some of my relevant reviews:

Astrology and Alchemy – The Occult Roots of the MBTI
European Business Forum published on 03/01/2004
http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreco.aspx?coid=CO5240417484857

Personality Plus
The New Yorker published on 09/20/2004
http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreco.aspx?coid=CO112404141215

The Cult of Personality
http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreco.aspx?coid=CO5270512997

Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
by David Keirsey
http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreco.aspx?coid=CO814013273511

Personality Tests: Back With a Vengeance
[]

by Alison Overholt
http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreco.aspx?coid=CO11150412584917

Max More, Ph.D.