[ExI] Meaningless Symbols.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 11 01:43:05 UTC 2010

On 1/10/2010 7:27 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> Gordon has in mind a special sort of understanding which makes no
> objective difference and, although he would say it makes a subjective
> difference, it is not a subjective difference that a person could
> notice.

I have a sneaking suspicion that what is at stake is volitional
initiative, conscious weighing of options, the experience of assessing
and then acting. Yes, we know a lot of this experience is illusory, or
at least misleading, because a large part of the process of "willing" is
literally unconscious and precedes awareness, but still one might hope
to have a machine that is aware of itself as a person, not just a tool
that shuffles through canned responses--even if that can provide some
simulation of a person in action. It might turn out that there's no
difference, once such a complex machine is programmed right, but until
then it seems to me fair to suppose that there could be. None of this
concession will satisfy Gordon, I imagine.

Damien Broderick