[ExI] Ecosia - is this BS?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 04:17:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
> My bogometer is in the red. Please read and critique.
>
> http://www.businessgreen.com/business-green/news/2254326/bing-backs-world-greenest
> http://ecosia.org/
>
> Should we translate this as "Microsoft greenwashes Bing, hapless WWF
> lends support"?

"...we could save a rainforest area as big as Switzerland each year."

To indicate how far that analogy misses the mark, my only thought upon
reading it was, "There are no rainforests in Switzerland"

Might as well buy-into the black pixel project for 'saving energy'
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/06/black-pixel-is-it-possible-to-save-energy-one-pixel-at-a-time.php

I think we'd save more energy (and reduce carbon footprint, etc.) if
we gave corporations a small tax break for every employee that
provably works from home to avoid the commute.  They have little
incentive to "allow" their employees to escape the cube-farm and
remain at home.  So instead, I drive 26 miles each direction to sit in
front of a computer that I could have accessed remotely (or used VPN,
etc.)  Stupidly wasteful.  :(