[ExI] digital simulations, descriptions and copies

Spencer Campbell lacertilian at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 21:16:43 UTC 2010

It doesn't simplify things for me to think about whether or not a
simulated apple is equivalent to a real apple. That's some kind of
facsimile of a reductionist, absurdist argument that I can't quite put
my finger on. It does nothing but confuse. I don't care whether or not
I can eat a digital apple from where I stand now. Now, on the other
hand, if I myself were a digital simulation...

But, that is a small quibble. More important is the fact I can't find
anything in Gordon's message that I can use to determine whether or
not I understand the differences between simulations, descriptions and
copies in the same way that he does.

I'm not even sure why the question is important. Do I need to
understand? I can't even conjure up an elucidating thought experiment
if I don't know what the problem is relevant to in practical terms.

So: I hereby request a dilemma that can be solved through shrewd
discrimination between digital descriptions and digital duplications.
If it cannot be solved any other way, all the better. If the answer is
obvious, don't bother; an easy dilemma is no dilemma at all.