[ExI] Coherent vs. Incoherent Fears of Being Uploaded

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:51:07 UTC 2010

2010/1/20 Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>:
> Qualia, consciousness, subjectivity, experience, intentionality,
> understanding: What a ridiculous question! Of course I believe in
> these things! So do you! So does everyone who is able to believe
> anything!

Really? :-)

Of course such words have a meaning and usefully indicate something
(why, with the likely exception of "qualia"). So do the words "blind
watchmaker", "popular will", "avian sexual drive", "serendipity",
"artistic value", "communism", "compound interest", "epistemology",
"Murphy law", "independence", etc.

An entirely different thing is the faith that that they would not
simply refer to our way of describing the world but some essence-like,
irreductible phenomena you can tap your knock on.

--
Stefano Vaj