[ExI] funny headlines again

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jan 28 20:52:58 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of spike
> Subject: Re: [ExI] funny headlines again
>
> > ...On Behalf Of Tom Nowell
> > ...The Daily Telegraph...outsourced their subediting...Tom
>
> ...We can form a
> news agency, then outsource the copy editing to Africa... spike

Expanding on my and Tom's idea of a low-cost news agency:

Currently news agencies write their stories almost exclusively from a
political point of view.  Wars, battles, elections, etc, are all reported on
a political meme basis, causes, ideas and so forth.  But if one looks at the
history of warfare, the really critical deciding factor is always the
technology.  It matters not one bit how righteous is the cause, or what
deity is on your side, if the other guy has nukes.

This goes all the way back, as recorded in the ancient book of Judges
chapter 1 verse 19: ...And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the
inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the
valley, because they had chariots of iron...

So here's the idea: report the news from a memetically totally neutral point
of view, and from a science and technological point of view.  Imagine you
are a post singularity conscious machine of some sort, and you were given
the chance to go back in time and watch your own ancestors fight among
themselves (for all humans would be your mind-fathers), so you have no
favorites and no favored causes, other than you always cheer for the most
technologically advanced, for these are your more immediate predecessors.

This is a little like slash dot, but they focus on technology to the
exclusion of political conflict.  What I am suggesting is that we report
normal news from a machine's perspective.  And outsource the copy editing to
Africa to save money.