[ExI] gaming reports

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jul 1 02:52:33 UTC 2010

On 6/30/2010 8:39 PM, Ross Evans wrote:

> Are the dice rolled the same number of times every year? The reels on
> the slot machines rolled the same number of times? Of course not, and
> that variation, is a major contributory factor to the year by year
> differences

Really? And how would that work?

Here's a much better account of slot machine mechanics, from a learned
friend:

<In fact slot machines are not gambling devices, in the sense of playing
odds, they are cash collection machines. Each slot is actually a
stripped down computer with a cable link back to the corporate command
and control center. The one I know best is International Games
Technology which has its command center in Reno. Deep underground there
is a very large room with literally hundreds of screens lining its
walls. It looks very much like the NORAD center in the Colorado
mountains, which I have also seen. Each screen represents a certain
number of machines using split screens. An evaluation is made as to how
much the machines should produce each day. In the project in which I was
a partner in St. Petersburg, Russia, they were set at $150 a day. The
algorithm for that room constantly changes the odds so that the machines
produce a fixed amount of money each day. Because there is nothing about
gambling -- from the point of view of the machine owner -- involved in
this business they are not greedy. That is they don't try to make more
than $150 a day per machine x the number of machines. Some machines make
a bit more some less, but the room overall, with remarkable consistency,
will average whatever the set number is, in this case $150. So the odds
for any given machine are constantly in flux, and one machine may have
one odds profile while a machine right next to it may have another.
Slots don't have to be crooked; they are money trees that are remarkably
predictable over a room. In the case I know there were 365 machines in
five rooms. The venue gets a negotiated share, the owner of the machines
(they are usually leased) makes a percentage, and the person/company
putting the deal together makes a percentage. >

Damien Broderick