[ExI] global warming discussion 40 yrs ago

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Jul 3 23:39:20 UTC 2010

Gregory Jones wrote:

> Those of you who were around back then, do you remember discussion of
> global warming in the very early 70s?  I do, and I wondered if I
> halucinated it.  I recall from those days there was disagreement
> between experts whether the future would be hotter or colder.  It
> wasn't clear who was right, but the colder thing was a lot scarier to me.
>
> In retrospect we learn that Nixon was a big envionmental guy.  Rather,
> it shouldn't be big news: a bunch of environmental legislation passed
> on his watch, the endangered species act, clean air and clean water
> laws, etc.  Check this:
>
> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iOFcb8sd3JqfxYwXV1OeI9TijfgQD9GNB5MO0
>
>  spike

You didn't hallucinate.  I also remember The Population Bomb and other
things guaranteed to scare children from everyone's favorite scientist,
Paul Ehrlich.  That this creature is still a professor at one of the
most prestigious universities in the US greatly undermines my faith in
the potential of my species.

- samantha