[ExI] Probability mind benders

x at extropica.org x at extropica.org
Mon Jul 5 17:11:40 UTC 2010

2010/7/5 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> On Jul 5, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Ben Zaiboc wrote:
>
> I've read this one before, and have to say, even though I've just admitted
> I'm a duffer at maths, and especially statistics, this is rubbish. Or
> rather, it's a trick question.
>
> The thing is probability...is not a reflection of the thing itself but is a measure of our ignorance of it.

Thanks John.  I was going to make precisely this point in response to
Ben, adding that upon the problem being effectively specified, it's
effectively solved.

As for "true" quantum randomness, it's not clear that this distinction
makes a difference.  Perhaps scerir can point us in a useful direction
in this regard.

- Jef