[ExI] medical marijuana

Robert Picone rpicone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 06:57:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:42 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 7/7/10, BillK  wrote:
>> >  Legalizing possession of small quantities of cannabis for registered
>> >  medical use by seriously ill people as authorised by a doctor is
>> >  hardly likely to produce much tax income for the states or stop many
>> >  ordinary people being jailed for possession.
>> >

>> Proposition 19 though, I see, allows for much more widespread use,
>> similar to the alcohol licensing laws. Current polls indicate that it
>> might well get more than the 50% vote required in Nov 2010.
>>
>> They anticipate over a billion of extra revenue. But I don't see any
>> estimates for the additional costs incurred along the lines of
>> repairing the damage that alcohol causes.

It seems rather unlikely that there would be significant additional costs.
 DUIs are already policed rather heavily, and there are plenty of other
programs suited towards those goals, though language might have to be
rewritten a bit.

Anyway, so far the evidence shows that when areas have legalized usage,
there hasn't been any significant increase in local use, and any kid will
tell you it's easier for them to get weed right now than alcohol.  So I'm
not sure I see the logic behind the the idea.