[ExI] Belief in maths

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Jul 9 00:43:32 UTC 2010

Fred C. Moulton wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 07:05 -0400, darren shawn greer wrote:
>

>> It would be much more logical for Christopher Hitchins and Richard
>> Dawkins to simply say, I don't know.
>>

> It should be pointed out that Dawkins does not say he has absolute
> knowledge.  He has a nuanced view which is summarized in chapter 2 of
> his book The God Delusion.  It is not an absolutist view.
>
> I have read more writings and listened to more lectures by Dawkins than
> I have Hitchens thus I am not going to comment on Hitchens.
>
> What I will suggest is that if people want to be taken seriously they
> avoid giving the implication that they think atheists as a group have an
> absolutist position on this matter.  If a particular individual has an
> absolutist view then please provide a citation when criticizing that
> person.

The theologies that posit a logically impossible god I have an
absolutist position on as these are on their face absurd and can never
ever be true.  I have no absolute position on whether there is an
intelligent being powerful enough to create entire universes and fiddle
with them at whatever level it will.  Indeed I have a pretty strong
belief that such a being is in fact possible.   So there may well be one
already somewhere is space-time or outside this space-time.    However,
I have no evidence that one exists and is behind this universe and
remotely cares where you or I believe such to be the case.

- samantha