[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 82, Issue 13

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 02:55:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM,  John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I've been reading about Thorium reactors, in particular Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors (LFTR) and I'm very impressed, I don't believe nearly enough is being done in this area. With all respect to Keith Henson I think this is much more likely to provide our energy needs than space based solar.

You are way out of date.  I finally came to a solution that would get
the cost of SBSP down to around two cents per kWh with a front end
investment in transportation around $100 B ($60 B in lasers).  Then
one of the people who was helping me with the SBSP analysis told me
about a project that looks like it will generate power at just over a
penny a kWh *and* the front end investment is under 1% of the SBSP
front end.  The principal is Ed Kelly and if you Google on that name
and Transmeta you will get the right guy.

It will go public sometime in August.

Near as I can tell no other energy proposals have a chance.

I am not particularly happy about it, but I am on record as saying I
would support any energy project that looked better than what I was
working on.  Not going into space closes off a lot of opportunities
but it probably doesn't matter.  Because of the singularity I don't
see humans being in charge beyond mid century anyway.

Keith