[ExI] "How would you feel about genetically engineering humans?"

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 08:22:50 UTC 2010

Reddit breaks out with a spontaneous case of transhumanism:

http://www.reddit.com/comments/cmfsi/how_would_you_feel_about_genetically_engineering/

What is transhumanism? "Transhumanists take humanism further by challenging
human limits by means of science and technology combined with critical and
creative thinking. We challenge the inevitability of aging and death, and we
seek continuing enhancements to our intellectual abilities, our physical
capacities, and our emotional development. We see humanity as a transitory
stage in the evolutionary development of intelligence. We advocate using
science to accelerate our move from human to a transhuman or posthuman
condition. As physicist Freeman Dyson has said: "Humanity looks to me like a
magnificent beginning but not the final word." ... "Transhumanism is the
philosophy that we can and should develop to higher levels, physically,
mentally and socially using rational methods."

I found lots of interesting comments on the reddit thread.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507