[ExI] Buchanan?

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 19:46:21 UTC 2010

Not withstanding the current open questions on what to write for
bioethics.gov, I was wondering if anyone here knows Dr. Allen Buchanan. I
was surprised that I haven't heard of him yet. He seems to take a negative
view of the precautionary principle, and doesn't explicitly recognize the
proactionary principle, but does mention "cautionary heuristics".

His testimony to the president's bioethics commission:
http://www.tvworldwide.com/events/bioethics/100708/globe_show/default_go_archive.cfm?gsid=1381&type=flv&test=0&live=0

20min podcast interivew mp3 thing on human enhancement:
http://philosophybites.com/2009/05/allen-buchanan-on-enhancement.html

Beyond Humanity? The Ethics of Biomedical Enhancement
http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Humanity-Biomedical-Enhancement-Practical/dp/0199587817/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278790929&sr=1-7

duke page:
http://fds.duke.edu/db/aas/Philosophy/allen.buchanan

Are there other philosophers that are not well known to us? I guess asking
this question is hopeless, but I might as well try :-).

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507