[ExI] (no subject)

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Jul 13 02:25:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 11:27:41PM -0700, spike wrote:

> Ja, but we will get over it.  I didn't feel insulted by my pithy and
> lame nickname and I have been a Taxifornia resident for over half my
> life.  The taxes have been way too high here the whole time.  We pay
> and pay, yet it never seems to be enough for our voracious state
> government.  Perhaps it is because it uses the money to jail people
> for merely possessing a weed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_tax_levels_in_the_United_States

California tax levels (% personal income) are lower than 11 other
states, such as
Alaska
Vermont
Hawaii
Arkansas
West Virginia
Maine
Minnesota
Mississippi
New Mexico
Wyoming

Interestingly, New York is slightly above the mean and median, and
"Taxachusetts" is below both.
California is 0.7% above the national mean.

I have to call BS on this meme.  Of course "way too high" is subjective,
and I'd certainly say California spends too much on prisons.  But
California as an overtaxes liberal hellhole seems rather mythical.

-xx- Damien X-)