[ExI] Selective attention test

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 13 19:31:25 UTC 2010

--- On Tue, 7/13/10, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Try to observe and count the correct number of times
> the
> > people in white pass the basketball.
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo
> >

> I'm afraid I don't see the point of this.
>
> I guess I passed the selective attention test, getting the
> number of ball passes right and missing the gorilla.
>
> Is the idea to demonstrate how well selective attention
> works?  Surely it's not surprising? It's a very useful
> trait.  Probably essential.

Actually, a "full pass" would be getting the number of
ball passes and seeing the gorilla - and any other relevant
details that you didn't know about in advance.  (I noticed
the gorilla - registered as "person in furry suit" - while
I was counting, and I'd never heard of this test before.
I also noticed one pass that was not on screen.)