[ExI] SBSP was Ed Kelly and Transmeta

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 12:24:46 UTC 2010

2010/7/12 samantha <sjatkins at mac.com>
> Stefano Vaj wrote:
> This is why transhumanism is crucial. A cultural revolution was
> necessary to shift the paradigm from hunting-and-gathering to
> something else, another one is required now to bring things to the
> next level.
>
> Please say more about what that next level is beyond what has been done today.  That is the next step.  I do not see that we are generally all that clear on that but instead have a a bunch of rather disparate notions.

Let us say that change comes more from paradigm shifts more than from
gradual evolution and refinement of what exists. Changing the world in
turn requires first changing the dominant worldview.

The illusion of Kurzweilesque views of progress, singularity, etc. is
that there are self-sustaining processes at work, similar to the
Marxist evolution of means of production, which would guarantee
incremental achievements similar to that we have attained in the past.

I suspect instead that such achievements were the (intermittent)
products of very special circumstances and of titanic efforts
commanded by, and in turn producing, cultural revolutions, in a
general framework of "punctuated equilibria".

--
Stefano Vaj