[ExI] atheists de-baptize unbelievers:

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 18 14:02:55 UTC 2010

Will, very poignantly said. I'm a believer who has friends on both
> sides of the chasm. But on Facebook I have many atheist "friends
> (friends of friends)" who talk about nothing but their loathing of
> Christianity & apparently all religion in general. It is like these
> people have "no lives" and quite simply don't talk about other things
> (like family, work, school, popular culture) , except their
> anti-religion obsession. And the degree of arrogance, outright
> crudeness, and countless straw man arguments just astounds me! I used
> to think hardcore Evangelical Christian fundamentalists took the cake
> on this stuff, but I now give the nod to their obnoxious opposition.

Well said. I've been wanting to say something similar myself, and have been a bit troubled by the amount of space spent on-line by fellow atheists ridiculing and making fun of the beliefs of others. I'm not a believer, but my parents are. They are devout Christians, with a quiet, simple faith. It has been a great stabilizer in their lives and has made them, as far as I'm concerned, happier, more balanced and productive people than they were before they believed. Because they respect my meta-physical/philosophical position as an atheist, I have been forced to respect theirs. I have learned over the years that to paint all Christians (Moslems, Parsis, Jains, Hindu's, Buddhists, whatever) with the same brush--judging them by the worst or most fanatic followers --is as misleading as saying all men are murderers because some do occasionally take lives.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
For more info on author Darren Greer visit
http://darrenshawngreer.blogspot.com