[ExI] Sarah Palin

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 21 07:00:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:31:24AM -0400, John Clark wrote:

>    Clearly unwarranted!? Clearly? I can think of few things more
>    warranted, and if you can't demonize something as repugnant and stupid
>    as Islam what can you demonize?

Demonization.

>    the atrocities Islam is committing right this very minute didn't

"Islam" isn't committing anything, anywhere, and never has.

Some people who are Muslim are committing atrocities.  So are some
people who are Jews, or Christians, or Hindus, or atheist.

Some of them claim justification in Islam for what they do -- but then
other Muslims call them wrong.  As with most other religions.

Many *Arabs*, many of whom are Muslim, also have more specific
grievances against Israel or the US or some European countries, related
more to colonialism and nationalism and other history than to Islam per
se.  Iranians have their own grievances, linked to our support of an
oppressive regime, though those seem more nursed by the current
oppressive regime than held by the population.

I first learned of E-prime on this list.  Perhaps it's time for it to be
practiced for a while again.

-xx- Damien X-)