[ExI] Religions and violence [Was Re: Sarah Palin]

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 24 10:28:30 UTC 2010

> Islam has followed a course more in line with religious conservatism.
> That this has held Muslims "back" from the "blessings" of modernity,
> seems a reasonable conclusion from what we see of the Muslim
> "condition" today. So the Muslim culture seems inclined to live by
> traditional values and to not manifest the same enthusiasm for
> cultural change via technology as the West. And yes, I see this as a
> consequence of the inherently conservative nature of the religious
> practice -- Islam -- which is at the center of Muslim lives.

Rapacious war-loving capitalism fueled by industrial productivity aside (if that is even possible) I see the issue here as a philosophical one. One of the more pernicious by-products of increasing moral and cultural relativism in the west has been to foster an unsavory political correctness that makes it difficult to confront directly dictatorships and barbaric behavior perceived as arising from cultural differences or practices.

The trick is finding and enforcing moral/legal standards that apply to all cultures equally, but that does not violate relativism, which is necessary for humanity to move forward and unite the species in common goals, such as technological progress, social equality, etc, etc. When a group of people reject those common goals in deference to their traditional beliefs, we simply don't know what to do with them. I can say with some degree of certainty though that when people reject modernity with acts of violence and barbarism, the one thing you don't want to do is officially declare war on them, which sanctions their acts as legitimate thanks to our own barbaric philosophy of thinking the taking of life within the context of ideological conflict is justified.

Cheers,

Darren