[ExI] Mosque at Ground Zero -- or not?

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 28 06:44:41 UTC 2010

On Jul 28, 2010, at 1:03 AM, Max More wrote:

> Very relevant to the very recent discussion of Muslims wanting to build a mosque at Ground Zero in NY. Is that even true, as J.C. (John Clark, not Jesus Christ) assumes? I haven't verified the information in the following, but it says that's definitely *not* true.
>
> http://knappster.blogspot.com/2010/07/yes-this-is-litmus-test.html

Quotations from that site:

> The opponents of Cordoba House oppose private property rights.

No more than any other zoning law, and anyway I never said the government should stop it, I said it displays incredibly boorish behavior for the Muslims to even think of building it. And if the government can tax me they can sure as hell tax that monstrosity!

It's not inconsistent for a libertarian to say somebody is a total slime-ball for doing something and also think the government should not use force to prevent it.

> Cordoba House is not a "mosque." It's an "Islamic cultural center,"

And the Space Shuttle didn't explode, there was an energetic disassembly.

> The construction site for Cordoba House is not at "Ground Zero." It's two blocks away

Oh that is very different! A Nazi cultural center built in the middle of Auschwitz would be in bad taste, but one built 500 feet away would be just fine.

> The opponents of Cordoba House generally claim to have knowledge of Islam beyond that of us non-Muslims who don't obsess over who's worshiping where.

I don't claim to have more knowledge of Islam than other people, but apparently I do have less fear of being called a bigot (as I was on this list) from fools who ignore an obvious evil.

  John K Clark