[ExI] trying to convince a friend that nanotech is not so bad...

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 14:27:00 UTC 2010

darren greer wrote:
He seems pretty emotive regarding the subject, and based on my
experience, you’re unlikely to change his mind quickly. It seems to me
he has a problem with human intent and competence rather than the
technology itself. It might pay to remind him of that; that if human
beings really want to f%$# other human beings, there are myriad ways
to accomplish that at their disposal already.

Ben Zaiboc wrote:
On the whole, emotions are more important in people's thinking than
logic.  If you want to convince someone that something is not bad, you
need to get them to feel it. Intellectual understanding is not enough.

Actually, it's a she, a very beautiful, young, and passionate woman...
 Yes, this friend greatly distrusts corporate America and she even
takes part in public protests against them.  But she is not entire
close-minded, and I do concede that there are some dangers with the
current state of nanotech.  Ironically, she yearns for a utopian
world, and nanotech will be a key component of any such future
society.  I plan to give her a good book on the subject, any
suggestions?

John