[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist splinter groups yearning for cyber-heaven

Gregory Jones spike66 at att.net
Wed Jun 16 21:11:15 UTC 2010

>...I always have considered transhumanism to be sophisticated, keening intelligent, great sense of humor, deeply caring about humanity and awake.  Certainly there are some transhumanists who are difficult or naïve, or who wear "H+" without understanding its values, but for me it is home...I shine and so do you...Natasha

Well said, Natasha thanks.  I agree.  The central point of transhumanism is the notion that it is physically possible to upload sentience into another substrate.  I sure cannot figure out why not.  We know that there are plenty of examples in nature of a form of sentience in beasts, behaviors that demonstrate natural evolved intelligence, even if not exactly analogous to human thought.  We have seen videos of ants being attacked by predators for instance, and demonstrating what looks to me exactly like human fear, all taking place in a central nervous system that could scarcely be called analogous to a mammalian brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJgsPUYahs

The ant's brain is an object that most of us would agree could in theory be simulated on a computer, and if so, why not a grasshopper's brain, and if that, why not a mouse brain, etc.  Those who say in principle humans cannot upload sound too much like the well-meaning armchair philosophers who argued in 1900 that humans can never go to the moon.

I recognize that there are identity paradoxes, old questions to which I see no progress being made or having been made ever, but regardless of that we forge on toward the goal of uploading, for we know all too well the alternative.

spike