[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:56:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:54 AM,  John Grigg
<possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Giulio Prisco wrote:
>> In this case the line along which the splinter is cut is not
>> political. Well, in some sense it is, because everything related to
>> people is, but it is not explicitly political.
>
>> Instead, it is defined by taking transhumanism seriously, including
>> its more radical and apparently far-out aspects. Some transhumanists
>> take immortality, mind uploading and the limitless evolution of our
>> species in a great cosmic adventure seriously, and some
>> "transhumanists" don't..
>>>>

> I think another way which transhumanists (perhaps unconsciously)
> divide themselves, is that of those who ardently desire  to achieve
> indefinite lifespan (sometimes even without the desire for cryonic
> suspension), and those who see this option as realistically only being
> open to the currently very young or unborn.

This reminds me of the split between people who want to go into space
themselves and the ones who feel they have no chance and still support
going as something for a generation or two in the future.

I think in addition to those who "ardently desire  to achieve
indefinite lifespan" there are a substantial number who are repelled
by the infinite boredom of being dead.

> I wonder how many people who have been on this list will be making it...

This "ur-transhumanist" has been signed up for 25 years now.  Might
not make it, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

Keith