[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist splinter groups

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 19 07:20:19 UTC 2010

samantha <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> we might just as
> well become lotus
> eaters once we use all the energy of the local
> star.   Time will tell.

I don't understand this statement.
What has energy use got to do with apathy?

> Actually a lot of that useless mass is full of very yummy
> nerves and so
> on.  :) Yes, you can do better in a theoretical future
> computational
> space.   But where do you take a breath and
> enjoy and fully appreciate
> what is?  If you only keep running to more and More
> and yet MORE do you
> remember to smell the roses fully before you digitize them?

You take a breath and enjoy and fully appreciate what is inside the computational space you are in right now.  Why shouldn't an upload's computational space be at least as capable?  I don't see much point in the whole enterprise if this isn't true. Those yummy nerves and so on can be even yummier in upload-space!

The digitised roses can be at least as nice-smelling as the real ones, and if you consider the mass used by a rose, and the mass used by a digital representation of that rose, down to such a fine level that our human senses are left waaay behind, you can see that we could get a whole forest of roses, of all kinds, even ones that don't or couldn't exist in the 'real world', in the space of a single biological rose.  And you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  The point is that if we upload, we won't leave anything behind, at all.  We open up a huge space of possibilities that include everything we are already familiar with.

(Spike):
> > This is my transhuman endgame vision, the vision that
> > guides everything I do, everything I think, everything
> > I am and hope to become.
> >

> And I largely share it with some caveats and occasional
> need to ask
> questions as to what is really meant and what we really
> want and why.

Of course.  We all have a vision, or we wouldn't be here, and we all need to keep asking the questions.

Ben Zaiboc