[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist splinter groupsyearning forcyber-heaven

bret at bonfireproductions.com bret at bonfireproductions.com
Sun Jun 20 14:52:02 UTC 2010

Quoting Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc>:

> Bret wrote:
>
> "...I do implore people to also not attach Transhumanism to any specific
> spiritual element.

> I don't agree. Spirituality and religiosity are not synonymous. And it is a
> mistake to group spirituality and religiousness as one thingy.
(snip)

> Who cares if someone drinks the blood of Christ isn't pestering us.  Just
> life and let live.  (Unless they are trouble makers.)

Hi Natasha!

I agree with your not agreeing :). What I meant by specific, is that a
group banding together, in a religious sense, and using the
Transhumanist "brand" if you will, could be damaging - once a group
identifies in this manner, it becomes a threat to other religions.
While people are willing to identify with any compatible group, adding
a religious (not necessarily spiritual/personal) overhead will make
Transhumanism incompatible with certain groups. They will feel like
they need to make a choice.

As it stands, you could be any religion or none, and still maintain a
transhumanist viewpoint. Once a religious label is in play, people
will probably discard it in favor of their religion. I don't think we
can afford that.

Meanwhile - metaphysics, Zen and Buddhism are certainly welcome,
right? This open-ness relies on not having a religious predisposition
as a whole?

~]3