[ExI] transhumanism in fiction

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Jun 21 01:28:21 UTC 2010

Damien pointed to some interviews with Greg Egan here:
http://www.gregegan.net/INTERVIEWS/Interviews.html

Some of his anti-(what he thinks is) transhumanism are curious and
disappointing:

Egan: I have some quite strong philosophical disagreements with large
sections of the transhumanist movement
I had an email from one transhumanist telling me that it was criminal
that every intelligent person in the world wasn't working on
uploading, because every significant human problem would be solved
once we were immortal software. The blood of all the people who died
because uploading didn't come sooner would be on the hands of those
who didn't hasten its arrival.

[So, Egan apparently identifies transhumanism with the views of one
fanatical person -- or the few who share that view.]

Another transhumanist meme that utterly amazes me is the idea that we
ought to be handing the planet over to a benign, super-intelligent AI
as quickly as possible.

[Another view that is certainly held by *some* transhumanists, but
obviously far from all, and probably a minority.]

Many of your stories involve transhuman characters built with
incredible, almost magic-like technology. Do you believe this is our future?

I hate the word "transhuman"; it suggests beings who have become
something alien and incomprehensible to us.

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher
The Proactionary Project