[ExI] transhumanist as a philosophy

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 21:15:25 UTC 2010

Damien wrote in response to Stefano's list: "A remarkable list, but fairly useless in the context of discussing >H *as a formal philosophy*."

Well, the point that people quoting SF and futurology like "the singularity is near" is that Transhumanism *the movement* is full of people who got inspired by SF and futurology, looked at the issues behind the grand ideas, and then learnt about the philosophy.

Transhumanism *the philosophy* is still developing - Bostrom, Sandberg, More, have all published papers outlining ideas, and as Natasha said Extropy had a good variety of papers. Is there a core summation of these currently in print or readily accessible? I don't think so, which is why "The Transhumanist Reader" has a handy gap in the market it can fill.

I suppose the best way to check what the core texts are from a philosophical point of view would be to ask those nice people at the Journal of Evolution and Technology to check the references quoted in their journal, and that way find out which philosophers are most quoted by philosophers discussing the ethics of technologies transhumanists hold dear. (If there are other good journals concentrating on transhumanist ideas, you could repeat the same experiment)

Tom