[ExI] transhumanist as a philosophy

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 22 01:03:38 UTC 2010

So I passed along the query to philosopher Russell Blackford, of JET,
who replies (and allows me to repost):
======================

What core texts? Tranhumanism is a cultural and intellectual movement,
but not a philosophical system as far as I can see. There may well be
philosophical systems associated with it (Max's, perhaps), but if so
they're not generally accepted within the movement. I don't see any body
of core texts that everyone quotes, let alone a body of what could be
called core *philosophical* texts. Some people quote James's book, of
course, and people will often position themselves by referring to Nick
Bostrom's history of transhumanism. Simon Young's book gets quoted a
lot, but not by transhumanists. Actual transhumanists all seem to hate
it.... All I really see is ferment and debate around some key ideas,
e.g. of the posthuman. But we don't agree about stuff like the
Singularity, and a key idea or two doesn't add up to a system or a
philosophy.

The big special issues of JET that we published a year or two back are
arguably the best intellectual resource that exists, and they should be
referred to, but I don't see any common philosophical system there.
Likewise for the special issue of The Global Spiral that Natasha edited
two years ago - probably a fair bit of commonality on that occasion,
since Natasha chose and invited fairly like-minded contributors, but not
a system. It's worth looking at to see people who are pretty informed,
including Max and Natasha, trying to correct a batch of fairly
ill-informed critiques. I expect the transhumanist reader that Max and
Natasha are putting together will be the same - lots of ideas, lots of
ferment.

Btw, I don't think transhumanism is any the worse for this.

Cheers,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>