[ExI] mind body dualism

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 21:17:37 UTC 2010

Sometime back, the list suffered through a thread which I will call
"The thread that dare not speak its name".  In that thread there was a
wide ranging discussion of consciousness, mind, persona, cognition,
sentience  -- you know, all the basic mood groups.  The feasibility of
uploading, via the re-creation of mind in a "computronium" (ie
artificial, synthetic, engineered-material substrate), was challenged
based on a assertion of the inseparability of mind and body.

Came across this today:

Touch: How a hard chair creates a hard heart

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-06/yu-tha062210.php

"The old concepts of mind-body dualism are turning out not to be true
at all," Bargh said. "Our minds are deeply and organically linked to
our bodies."

Please forgive me.

Best, Jeff Davis

  "We don't see things as they are,