[ExI] psi yet again.

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 23:11:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 6/29/2010 4:02 PM, Mike Dougherty wrote:
>
>> I think this is modified the same way 'predictive' analysis of the
>> stock market by machines exacerbates instabilities.  If the rate is
>> 1/1000 and there are 3 psychics the effect may be accumulate to
>> 1/(1000^3)
>
> NOT what I'm saying.
>
> Blimey, how hard is this to follow?

I wasn't trying to follow.  I was throwing out other ideas for why it
doesn't seem to work.

> And there's very little chance that anyone in those categories could jump up
> to the top category when the chance of getting an extra guess right is only
> 1 in 1000, even if 10 million or even 100 million entries are made in a
> draw.
>
> I leave the rest for your exploration and entertainment.

ok, now trying to follow...   You're suggesting that even with
incontrovertibly real psi at 1/1000 power to guess correctly (by
whatever effect: precog or other) that simply getting another number
right in the lottery fails to produce noteworthy outcomes anyway?

I think there are rules other than applied statistics at work - I
don't have any idea how to express them.