[ExI] Debate, EP and psi

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 02:24:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 4:45 PM,  Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> On 6/29/2010 10:27 AM, Keith Henson wrote:
>
>> Re psi, if there is some kind of psi ability existing and it depends
>> to some extent on a genetic trait and the ability improves
>> reproductive success just a little, then we would expect it to be as
>> common as eyesight and as well developed, even if it only provided a
>> slight reproductive edge.
>
> Two possible factors:
>
> 1) You can only see when there's light.

Yes, but eyes are very well evolved in spite of darkness.  You would
have to assume that "psi light" comes only on rare occasions.  In
which case, where does it come from?

> 2) Red Queen's race.

That would require either other humans to have evolved anti psi powers
or something else to be evolving and blocking psi powers.  In both
cases you would need to show that something benefits (in terms of
reproductive success) from blocking human psi powers.

Not saying psi doesn't exist, just that biology puts some hard filters
on the concept.

Keith