[ExI] The Chess Room

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 04:37:46 UTC 2010

Ah sorry--I didn't read that specific article, but it seems to have been the
study from tENM.  What is interesting is that the split-brain patient's two
sides expressed *different intentions!*  Each side expressed wishes for
separate futures and seemed to exist independently.  The brain is known to
compensate for damage.  Perhaps it compensated here by forming an entirely
new copy of the "consciousness sector."  Hofstadter espouses a very similar
idea close to the beginning of his book.  I would recommend tENM over it,
but both are very interesting.  Eureka is...different, but it has great
stuff on intuition and will paint Poe in a new light for you.

Anyhow--back to an emergent mind.  What sways me towards the idea is that a
group can have intention and trends, sometimes without total comprehension
of any within the group as singular units.  Humanity progresses, but the
specifics are not known to any one of us.  This may just be an emergent
necessity, but maybe our awarenesses are as well, given some special
interactions.