[ExI] The entropy of Extropy-Chat

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 09:16:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Damien Broderick wrote:
> Rue the day, kiddo. The sigma dropped by at least 50% when Eliezer, Anders,
> Robin Hanson, Eugen Leitel, Hal Finney, Robert Bradbury and some others left
> the room. You have no idea. A pity the archives don't go back that far.

Matches: from:(Gordon Swobe)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Delete it

This will save wear and tear on your Delete key.
But you will still see the vast number of posts trying to use
reasoning to stop the unreasoning repetition of the same 'beliefs'
over and over again.
And people responding quote far too much of the drivel. Trim your quotes!

List management has many different styles but it has to respond as
necessary to the circumstances. Sometimes a light touch is all that is
needed, with the threat of the big stick hidden behind your back. But
neglect can let a good list sink into the swamp.
It needs someone to have personal ownership of the list with a picture
in their mind of what they want the list to be and time to spend to
maintain the list accordingly. Many other attributes, of course, go
towards making the perfect list moderator.
(A Hitler mask helps!).

The main difference with the old Extropy list is that everybody got older.
And their sphere of action moved away from the old ways. In some cases
it may be that their 'philosophy' changed and some of their old ways
became an embarrassment that they would rather not discuss. Their new
outlook expresses itself in different ways in different environments.

But we have a new generation appearing. Unfortunately (for the ol'
guys) they appear to have the normal student desire to sit round a
table at 2 in the morning, discussing whether the table really exists.
(Don't laugh - you know you've all done it!)
But the oldies will have to have a bit of patience while the
youngsters work through that phase. The kids nowadays!  ;)

BillK

But there are hopeful signs.