[ExI] generating energy with exercise equipment. was :RE: Accelerando

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 19:15:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:12 PM, spike wrote:
> To expand on this a bit, we could advertise that the value of the power
> generated by one's workout would be deducted from the monthly gym fee.  A
> few customers with more muscle than brain might take it as a challenge to
> try to work off their entire bill with muscle generated power.  These will
> find how difficult it is to generate one single copper penny's worth of
> electric power.  Most moderns would give up before finishing the generation
> of one cent, for it would be a hell of a workout.  Do calculate it for
> yourself.  Ignore the energy cost of the HVAC system in the gym, and the
> lights, and the TV running Richard Simmons videos.

A bit of googling finds rather a lot of interest in pedal power.
China runs on pedal cycles, as do many third world countries.

<http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Pedal-Power>

The electricity generators claim 100 to 200 watts, with up to 300
watts for a professional cyclist. So this also means a big interest in
low power electrics, like CFL lighting.

They also make the point that most efficient is direct drive to a pump
or drill, etc.
Second is direct electric connection to TV, music player, etc.
And worst is charging a battery for later re-use.

Also see:
<http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Human-Powered>

BillK