[ExI] endpoint of evolution

Henrique Moraes Machado (CI) cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 12:16:09 UTC 2010

<Ben Zaiboc>From what we know of the evolution of life, it's very very
doubtful that we are the only intelligences in the universe, or even this
galaxy, but I don't think the Fermi Paradox is as paradoxical as it's made
out to be.  I think SETI is a complete waste of time, simply from thinking
about how BIG the place is.  Our radio front is like a ping-pong ball in the
Black Forest.  It wouldn't surprise me if the galaxy could host thousands of
highly advanced civilisations that knew nothing about one another.
</Ben Zaiboc>

I allways wonder about that too. One thesis that I hold is that in order to
to be seen from a big distance, someone has to waste copious amounts of
precious energy that could be put to better use. Therefore we can't detect
an advanced civilisation just because they don't want to be seen. Not
because they are hiding but because they learned not to waste energy.
And let's suppose that some of these hypothetical highly advanced
civilisations are looking for others. Are we wasting energy enough so we
could be detected from at least four or five digits of light years (assuming
that they could be this close to us)?