[ExI] Social implications of widespread extropian/positivistideals

ddraig ddraig at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 10:41:45 UTC 2010

On 7 March 2010 04:42, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I second Spike's motion.

We can start playing bingo soon :)

> Dwayne aside from your moral responsibilities you may also have
> placed yourself in legal jeopardy. I don't have a law degree but it
> seems to me that if you fail to report these threats to the authorities
> and this person commits a crime then this message of yours below
> might find its way into civil or even criminal court as evidence against you.

I not only know this, I have repeatedly told him this.  "I will not
lie to the police for you. I will not go to gaol for you"
The problem is that anything he wants to be, he feels is so.

So he wants me to be on his side and not tell anyone. His desire of
course makes it real. So he confides in me. Not being part of his
mental universe, I then tell whoever needs to know about this stuff.

Aside form anything else (such as the potential for murder), I don't
want him out scaring the public, and this info will hopefully keep him
inside, taking his medication.

> Given that you lived with the perpetrator and had prior
> knowledge of the crime, someone could try to say that your
> complacency made you complicit and thus partially responsible
> (in civil court), or that you aided and abetted or co-conspired
> (in criminal court), or who knows what.

I actually do not care at all about legal liabilities, I don't want
anyone killed, injured, or maimed, and keeping the relevant people
informed is the best way of keeping him inside and out of reach of the
public (and vice-versa).

To my mind people existed before laws. I look after people first, laws second.

"Dwayne aside from your moral responsibilities"
Oh, yes, that bit :)

> Pick up the phone and call the police.

Called his counsellor 10 minutes after I spoke to him, about 3 days (I
think, time is a bit blurry atm) before I wrote that email.

Dwayne
--
   ddraig at pobox.com irc.deoxy.org #chat
   ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...