[ExI] intellectual property again

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 14:41:25 UTC 2010

On 4 March 2010 01:41, JOSHUA JOB <nanite1018 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I read the article, and I still think that IP is a requirement, in fact I say it is the root of all property rights.

So what? :-)

I would contend that the best approach, before embarking in
ideological discussion upon whether IP is property, and whether
property should be considered as a foundational principle, in the
libertarian/objectivist sense, of any society we might wish to live
in, should be to analyse the *efficiency* - in economic, but above all
transhumanist respects - of the current IP system.

One would discover, for instance, that copyright, trademarks and
patents are more different in nature from one another - for the better
and the worse - than one might thing at first view.

And that paradoxical effects may exist that defeat in certain, albeit
not all, circumstances, the purpose itself of IP (say, when innovation
is stifled more than encouraged...).

--
Stefano Vaj