[ExI] intellectual property again.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 9 16:58:55 UTC 2010

On Mar 9, 2010, at 10:48 AM, Dan wrote:

> Actually, this is not so -- that libertarian societies, to work, require "absolutely equal, mostly honest parties" -- and not believed to be the case by most libertarian thinkers of note.

That's not what I said, for perfect justice you'd need that but even when dealing with real flesh and blood people rather than saints you could still get pretty good justice in a libertarian society.

> Regarding intellectual property (IP), there are disagreements amongst libertarians on this, though the more consistent libertarians tend to be anti-IP. Arguments about pragmatics on this -- i.e., what might happen if there's no IP protection in place -- tend to overlook actual evidence.

I think you're pretending there is not a problem when there is. It takes about a billion dollars to get a new drug to market and if the people who spent that money couldn't get a patent on it there would be no chance of them ever making that money back and the result would be no new drugs.

 John K Clark