[ExI] intellectual property again.

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 17:47:25 UTC 2010

But, as you know, contract-based anything would not apply to third parties. The scenario you cook up seems unlikely and would depend on luck: that almost all people in a society concur with a particular IP regime. Add to this, just what constitutes IP is unlikely to be agreed upon in enough cases that my guess is a bona fide free society would not have it or it'd be confined to small groups -- which is the equivalent of not having it. Also, even were many people to agree with this, this would only be them agreeing to something and not a ground for forcing others to comply.

And, yes, people can come to consensual arrangements that might look like IP, but they're not the same thing -- just as we can all agree to give away to charity anything we make over, say, $1 million. But that arrangement would not and should not bind others. Don't you agree? True IP would have to be like physical property: something that does bind third parties -- binds them from interfering in its use and disposal.

I think the case against IP from a natural rights perspective -- as given by libertarians like Kinsella -- is sound.

Regards,

Dan