[ExI] Social implications ofwidespread extropian/positivistideals.

ddraig ddraig at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:35:41 UTC 2010

On 10/03/2010, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> I recognize the need for the local authorities for the dangerous roommate
> situation.  What I had in mind is that the roommate's sister, who owns the
> apartment, would soon be inviting Dwayne to seek other accommodations
> forthwith should the dangerous roommate find himself incarcerated, at which
> time Dwayne would be ill advised to depend on charitable religioso,
> non-profiteers, government largesse or social workers, all of whom will
> likely leave one shivering and hungry on the street, as the cooler weather
> approaches in Australia.

Yes, this is exactly the situation. We were meant to sign a 1 year
lease the day after the committed himself (sucky timing) and if we'd
done that it would be fine, as his rent would be taken out of his
sickness benefit payment, and I could have got the business I was
planning off the ground, and everyone would be happy. The other option
was learn drupal and admin a site for a couple of months and then get
a job in computing instead of the crappy jobs I have been doing
lately, but all of that has been curtailed while I find another place
to live.
It turns out he has not paiud any rent at all for about 9 months now
(including the money I gavce him for my rent) so the sister owes on
the pace, plus she can rent it out for nearly double what we poay, and
she said to me: she is sick of looking after him, he can sort himself
out.
She sent us 2 month's notice on Feb 1st.

This was his 42nd birthday. Oh wow did that not help his state of mind
in any way.

It's all quite shakespearian, a huge tragedy, and I'm running away
from it as fast as I can. I will look after my friends to the limit of
my abilities, let alone my family (I grew up reading classics. Most
people do not think like me), and the way pretty much everyone but me
has dealt with him I find extremely horrifying.

> >From Dwayne's writing, I am guessing he is a younger man, so the right
> answer is to do as the rock band Styx urges the angry young man (whose
> future looks quite bright to me):  "Get up!  Get back on your feet!  You're
> the one they can't beat and you know it..."

Nah I'm 42. But, yep, for some reason I am relentlessly (annoyingly)
cheery, nothing gets me down.  This hasn't. Even if I put everything I
own into storage and wind up in a tent or under a bridge, well, it
won't last and it will be something different.  I know a *lot* of
people, who I have been out of touch with for a while (looking after
yet another broken friend over the last few years), and *they* know a
lot of people, and I'm usually held in extremely high regard by the
people I know, so I'm sure something will turn up. Or not. We'll see.
No point being miserable about it, thought, it just gets in the way.
Next time you whine about traffic - look on the bright side, you could
be me. :)

> I love that song.  In my own misspent youth it hit all the right notes with
> me, sounding so delightfully capitalistic in an era which languished in
> anti-materialistic malaise (1977).

I grew up in the 80s. Miserable period of sqeaky dystopian tunes. The
90s were *much* better.

> Dwayne, flee from the dangerous roommate
> and his charitable sister!

On it, chief! The sister is piece of work, omg.

>  Get back on your feet, me lad!

I refuse to get off them!

:-)

Dwayne
(I'm going to hit some posting limit soon. Sorry, can only get online
from the library so you'll see a stream of posts from me. They used to
refer to 'the Dwaynestream' on the futureculture list when I used to
do this)
Oh and there may be some delay in replies. Don't panic, I'm
indestructible, just lagged :)
--
   ddraig at pobox.com irc.deoxy.org #chat
   ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...