[ExI] intellectual property again

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 16:22:22 UTC 2010

On 9 March 2010 22:40, JOSHUA JOB <nanite1018 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:
>
>> I appreciate that this position exists, but if you could show that (in
>> some circumstances, some forms of) IP is not even efficient from a
>> collectivist viewpoint, this would simply strengthen your position and
>> widen your audience without requiring any compromise on "egoist
>> morality", wouldn't it?
>
> Actually, I think that would weaken my position. Now if I proved it WAS efficient even from a collectivist viewpoint, then THAT might strengthen my position.

Please clarify. Does a libertarian have reasons to oppose legal
systems which increase the overall wealth, all other things being
equal?! :-/

> Let's take the example of a patent on a newly created gene that can be used to produce a certain medicine (doesn't really matter what), that could previously only be produced at high expense in limited quantities, but now can be produced at low cost in giant vats of bacteria, allowing widespread access to the new medication.

Yes. This is a good and concise presentation of the traditional
rationale behind IP systems. But the devil is in the details. One
could for instance consider the amount of money, energy and time
wasted on "inventing around", that is in seeking alternative,
unprotected techs that are barely equivalent, instead of devoting the
same resources to more deserving targets. Another issue is that a
relatively long-term monopoly on a barring technology may dissuade
people from investing in R&D aimed at its improvement - certainly
those who would require a licence, but possibly the owner thereof as
well, unless the improvement actually provides net margins over the
existing version. Etc. etc.

--
Stefano Vaj