[ExI] Bodies

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 01:16:12 UTC 2010

> Stored bodies with updated memories may be widespread for hundreds of
> years, with all the infrastructure in place and being maintained by
> machines with limited AI capacity.  It's going to make a strange
> world.
>
> If you see any way to avoid this fate, let us know.
>
> Keith

I dunno, I don't think it's a dystopia, in fact it sounds damned cool.
After all, people would largely be moving into the virtual sphere
because it's better (although many late movers might feel they are
doing it because it's the best of a set of bad choices; staying in the
physical world becomes worse than not).

btw, if we can move in and out of meat bodies (sorry, I know people
hate that term), then surely fully artificial physical bodies will
also be available, with superior features. I wouldn't expect the meat
bodies to stick around; I think people would be more likely to grab a
physical "robot" body as needed if an when they need to run around in
the physical world, and even then only until they no longer care about
embodiment; after that, you'd just be looking for appropriate sensors
and manipulators to whatever real world task you wanted to perform,
and that might not always or even usually correspond to a body.

btw, I just want to state clearly that I agree with Keith on this.
WoW, the social network sites and games, and to a lesser extent Second
Life, prove to me that at least a very large minority, and probably in
fact a large majority of people will move into the virtual realm as
soon as it is possible, and live their permanently.

--
Emlyn

http://point7.wordpress.com - My blog