[ExI] Social implications ofwidespreadextropian/positivistideals.

ddraig ddraig at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 01:30:27 UTC 2010

On 11/03/2010, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> 42 is young!

Yes, this is my attitude. I feel about 22 internally, but my licence
disagrees. Dammit.

> Well there ya go!  We love the attitude Dwayne.  You're the one they can't
> beat and you know it.

It's funny, I say to people that the only thing that can make you
unhappy is the inside of your head  (I'm one of those poor souls that
people who are miserable talk to to cheer them up) and here I am
putting it to good use.

> One of the things that drew me into Extropian philosophy
> is its inherent optimism, or dynamic optimism as Max calls it.

Yes, same here. Even if the world is going to hell in a handbasket,
you can either wring your hands and whine, take drugs/watch TV/switch
off and cover your eyes,. or go and either fix the problem or go
somewhere less catastrophic. I see this list and people like it as
doing either of the last two.  If anyone is going to save the world it
is people like extropians.

Or someone from the extropians list will transcend and consume the
entire planet for raw materials.

Errrrrr.

Yeah.

:-)

>  Dynamic
> optimism puts the DO in BEST DO IT SO.  This world desperately needs more
> DO, so long as it has with it BEST and IT SO:

I agree.  At started an ISP in the middle of the 90s, and at the same
time was involved in third world networking (it all fell apart, long
story *) and I found that there was vast gobs of money being splashed
about, because there's lots of peoepl who want to do something,
there's lots of money, but very very few good ideas.

And it is ideas that drive absolutely everything else. You can point
at greed as a motivator but without an idea of what to do, that greed
is just jealousy, basically.

> Dynamic optimism is now called practical optimism.  Its the kind of attitude
> that gets you up and doing something to improve the situation, that gets
> your energy focused, that makes money, builds up and makes good things
> happen.

My main problem is that I have far too many options and tend to dither
between them. I don't lack for ideas but I do lack focus in a huge
way.

> With that very reasonable explanation we will tolerate temporary
> Dwaynestreams.

Thanks.  :-)

Job interview in a couple of hours. Wish me luck!

Dwayne

*  http://www.koan.net/?p=2

--
   ddraig at pobox.com irc.deoxy.org #chat
   ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...