[ExI] Bodies

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 03:39:53 UTC 2010

On 11 March 2010 13:59,  <jameschoate at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Can you articulate more clearly why you believe this? I suspect that I already know but I'd like to see your arguments in
> support of your thesis.

I can't find the source, but I saw stats saying that 25% of americans
now play multiplayer online games (or is that 25% of internet using
americans?) That includes dross like farmville of course.

You just need to see how people play World of Warcraft. It's more than
immersive; it's utterly compelling to very normal people. And compared
to what we imagine for an upload universe, it's primitive; it is to
that world as graffiti tagging is to Shakespeare. People are willing
to invest massive amounts of time into it (comparable to their work
life, for instance), and clearly (if you know any WoW players) they
would invest a lot more if they didn't have to deal with RL concerns.
WoW players don't play WoW every so often, they enter RL every so
often (and come running back to WoW as soon as humanly possible).

I think the quality of life will be so high compared to the real world
that people will flood in; it'll cheaper to live in, might require
little or no income, will be easier (no disease! no aging! no banging
your toe on a concrete step!) To the extent that the uploaded world is
a 3D virtual environment (the first ones will be, the transitional
environments), it'll be a 3D world with the constraints removed (we
can fly! wheeee!).

And past a certain point, the network effect will pull everyone else
in, because that's where their friends and family are.